A recent festival in Ile-Ife, Osun State, descended into chaos when Isese worshippers were attacked by unknown individuals, leaving six people injured.
Speaking to Drivetvnews, Oba Alamo Obatala, a prominent Isese traditional worshipper, revealed that the incident occurred on January 20, 2025, during the Obatala Festival. He explained that the group had broadcasted announcements on the radio for four consecutive days, urging residents to avoid the procession route.
Despite these warnings, the worshippers were reportedly attacked with stones while passing through Idio Market and the More Area, resulting in injuries, including a serious head wound sustained by a woman. Visual evidence obtained by SaharaReporters showed the woman’s head bloodied, allegedly from the attack.
Oba Alamon Obatala suggested that Muslims were responsible for the incident, referencing prior tensions and a similar attack in 2022. He explained that the national museum safeguards the Orisa (deities) to prevent theft, and the festival involves transporting these sacred objects to the Obatala temple. According to him, there is a longstanding divine rule in Ile-Ife prohibiting certain individuals, including Ilare indigenes and pregnant women, from seeing the Orisa during the festival. To enforce this, the group routinely informs the public to steer clear of the procession route.
“In 2022, during one of our festivals, some Muslims attacked us despite our warnings. Since then, threats and attempts to stop our Isese rites in Ile-Ife have continued,” Oba Alamon said. He recounted how, during this year’s festival, they took precautions by notifying the public in advance through radio announcements and palace guards. The group also followed their usual route, starting from the Obatala Temple and passing through Ita Ologun, Idio Market, and the More Area, where the local police area command is located.
The attack began as the procession passed through Idio Market, where a minor disturbance was resolved. However, as they reached the More Area, stones were reportedly thrown at them from nearby houses and under trees. Later that night, while returning around 9 p.m., the stone-throwing intensified, resulting in the severe injury of a woman and damage to the windscreen of Oba Alamon’s Toyota Highlander.
“It’s unlikely that Isese worshippers or Christians were behind the attack,” Oba Alamon noted. “Muslims are the likely culprits, given the history of threats and prior attacks.”
In response, Ojulowo Omo Yoruba TV, a prominent Yoruba blogger and member of the Muslim community, disputed these claims, stating there was no evidence linking Muslims to the attack. “We’ve asked for evidence—videos, witnesses, or the identity of the injured woman—but nothing has been provided,” he said. He argued that no true Muslim, committed to the teachings of the Quran and Prophet Muhammad (SAW), would disrupt the festival. He suggested that individuals bearing Islamic names but not practicing Islam might have been responsible.
He cautioned against spreading unverified allegations, emphasizing that such actions could incite further conflict and religious intolerance.
Efforts to contact Osun Police Command spokesperson Yemisi Opalola for comment on the matter were unsuccessful as of Friday.