The Kebbi State Police Command has confirmed that 33 people were killed in an attack by suspected bandits on Bui District in Arewa Local Government Area of the state.
The Police Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, disclosed this in a statement issued on Friday in Birnin Kebbi. He said the attack took place on Wednesday when heavily armed men, believed to be Lakurawa militants, stormed the district to steal cattle.
Preliminary findings indicated that the assailants allegedly entered the area from Gudu Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
According to Usman, residents of Mamunu, Awasaka, Tungan Tsoho, Makangara, Kanzo, Gorun Naidal and Dan Mai Ago mobilised to resist the attackers. During the confrontation, 33 people lost their lives.
The police spokesman said security had been strengthened in the affected communities through collaboration between the police, the military and other security agencies.
He noted that additional personnel and operational equipment have been deployed to the area, while continuous patrols are ongoing to restore calm and prevent further violence.
Usman said the command had expressed condolences to the families of the victims and the entire Arewa community over the tragedy.
He stressed that situations involving heavily armed criminal groups require coordinated security responses and advised residents not to confront such elements directly due to the risks involved.
The police urged members of the public to report suspicious movements through appropriate security channels and assured that operations are underway to apprehend those responsible and enhance early warning systems in vulnerable communities.
The attack comes amid rising security concerns in parts of Kebbi State and neighbouring areas, where armed groups have continued to carry out deadly raids and other criminal activities.













